What Is Ear Pain?
Ear pain is very common in childhood and most children experience ear pain at least once before adulthood.
Ear pain can be sharp and painful and can cause a lot of discomfort to your child. Ear infections are more common in children than in adults.
According to National Institute of Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, 5 out of 6 children 3 will suffer from an ear infection at least once.
In most cases, ear pain in children may be indicative of a bacterial infection. However it may be caused by, air pressure, caries, sinus infection, ear infection and tonsillitis.
However, if your child has symptoms such as general discomfort, balance problems, hearing or hearing problems, fever or facial swelling, situation can be taken seriously. If this is case, you should take to a doctor immediately.
To relieve your child in a short time, apply some heat to painful ear. Heat will reduce pain and even prevent proliferation of microorganisms.
- Immerse a clean cloth in warm water, squeeze excess water and place it in painful ear for 5 minutes. Then repeat process as needed.
- Alternatively, place a warm water bottle or heating pad on painful ear.
- Another option is to heat 1 cup salt in a microwave, wrap warm salt in a piece of cloth and place in affected ear for 10 minutes at a time.
Note: Hot compresses can disturb your child, which can cause too much dizziness.
Garlic is an effective food that you can use to deal with infection quickly in children. Analgesic and antibiotic properties can help reduce problems caused by ear infection.
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil into 1 teaspoon chopped garlic add and heat.
- Then, cool oil and strain.
- Add 2 or 3 drops of this oil to your affected ear.
- You can use homemade ear drops 2 or 3 times a day.
- To prevent recurrence of ear infections, try to give your child a clove of garlic every day.
Breast milk has natural antibodies that can accelerate healing process of any ear infection. In a 2016 study published in Pediatrics, it was found that incidence of ear infections decreased in babies who breastfeed regularly in the first year.
- In addition, vaccines and cigarette smoking rates are also effective.
- In addition to breastfeeding, you can drip a few drops of breastmilk into affected ear using a dropper to reduce pain.
- You can repeat it every few hours.
Olive oil is a good method if your child does not show any fluid from ear and if there is no sign of tearing or ear damage. The oil acts as a preservative and helps to get rid of ear infection.
- Heat some olive oil until warm.
- Tilt your child’s head to side and drop 3 to 5 drops of olive oil on affected ear using a dropper.
- Put some cotton in your ear to prevent oil from leaking out.
- You can do this once or twice a day.
Chiropractic Treatment is an effective treatment to cope with pain of ear infections in infants and children. The nerves in upper neck affect health and function of inner ear and surrounding tissues.
Chiropractors find and correct regions of spine shift by normalizing function of nervous system, using very little pressure.
In a 1996 study published in Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, the addition of chiropractic care to medical care services suggests that it can reduce ear infections in young children.
Your child’s sleeping position can exacerbate or reduce ear pain. Sleeping on face may sometimes aggravate feeling of pressure and pain in infected ear. Therefore, you should change sleep position and choose a high position.
- For older children, put an additional cushion under his head and let him sleep over his painless ear.
- Sleeping on aching ear will exacerbate pain caused by ear infection.
- For small babies, raise your head by placing one or two pillows under your own pillow.
If your child’s ear pain is caused by cold or upper respiratory tract infection, is very helpful to use a moisturizer in room where your child sleeps. Breathing moist air helps alleviate pain by reducing swelling in upper airway and pressure in eardrum.
- You can purchase a humidifier or have a bowl of water in room to help increase humidity in air.
- If you are using an air humidifier or a bowl of water, place it in a safe place to avoid accidents.
- Also be sure to keep clean to prevent mold formation.
One of the best methods to alleviate ear pain caused by sinus infection in children is to breathe hot steam. Steam helps to alleviate congestion and fight sinus infection. The temperature of humidity; thinner mucus to facilitate ejection.
- Small babies and children, take a hot shower and keep door closed to keep steam.
- Sit in a steam bath with your baby and let your child breathe hot steam for at least 30 minutes a day.
- For older children, use a large bowl of hot water and allow your child to breathe steam for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Repeat 1 or 2 times a day.
Suction Or Chewing
One of main reasons behind ear pain in infants and children is change in air pressure. In such cases, sucking or chewing process can be very helpful in reducing provide some relief and pressure in Eustachian tubes.
- Breast-sucking infants should be encouraged to suck as often as possible.
- Babies can also be used with a bottle or pacifier.
- Older children can suction hard candies.
- Give your child a painkiller such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen. However, consult your doctor first.
- Avoid excessive use of antibiotics, as they can often lead to antibiotic-resistant infections.
- You can also apply acupressure to reduce ear pain.
- If you are feeding your baby with a bottle, keep baby in a semi-upright position to prevent food from flowing back into Eustachian tube.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Can Apple Cider Vinegar Help You Lose Belly Fat?
- 6 Best and Alternative Treatments for Baby Eczema and Atopic Dermatitis
- 8 Wonderful Plants To Help You Cure Asthma Naturally (With Picture)
- 9 Natural Ear Pain Remedies for Instant Relief (Quick&Easy Prep)
- 5 Wonderful Homemade Natural Energy Drinks Recipe (Quick & Easy)