Worm castings is a special type of worm, red California worm is grown and obtained by taking the castings. Because of the benefits of worm castings in our country has started to be preferred. Fruits and vegetables grown by increasing the use of chemical fertilizers are far from being organic and damaging to health. For this reason, it can be used as an organic fertilizer.
What is Worm Castings?
Worm humus has many effects on the soil. Increases the water retention capacity of the soil. It’il make it better.
Makes it rich in microorganism. Because humic is rich in acid, it regulates the pH level of the soil. The plant in the soil provides nutrient recycling.
Contains the necessary nutrients. Contains the necessary nutrients that provide the healing of plant diseases. It contains a high level of minerals such as nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium which are necessary for plant growth.
What Are The Health Benefits Of Worm Castings?
Worm castings is obtained using the Red California worm. Benefits of worm castings:
• 100% organic fertilizer. It does not contain harmful chemicals and does not need to be mixed with anything when using it.
• Accelerates plant growth. Seed germination by encouraging the plant to grow stronger is provided. According to Clive Edwards from Ohio State University, it increases plant growth as well as increases crop yields.
• Edwards did an experiment on tomatoes, peppers and strawberries about the effects of worm castings. According to the results of the experiment, more productivity was obtained from the plants that were fertilized with worm castings than the plants that were fertilized with synthetic chemical castings.
• Nutrient content is easily absorbed by plants. One of the most important benefits of worm casting is that it is easily absorbed by the roots of plants. Unlike chemical fertilizers, it does not flow easily from the soil because of the worm mucus contained. Thus, plants have more time to absorb nutrients.
• A fertilizer enriched by bacteria. The fertilizer is enriched by various bacteria and microorganisms as it passes through the worm body. These bacteria and microorganisms give the plants resistance against diseases and some plant pests away.
• Provides healthy root formation. The roots of the plant also benefit from the distribution of worm fertilizer in the soil.
• Increases the plant’s water retention capacity. It is especially useful for drought-affected regions. It increases the water retention capacity in dry areas and ensures that the plant remains moist.
How To Use Worm Casting?
- Worm casting is used either as solid or liquid. Vegetable seedlings or planting the fruit tree, applied to contact with the root of the plant.
- A handful is sufficient for the seedlings, for the fruit tree 1 kg of solid worm manure can be used.
- Liquid worm castings is mixed with water at a rate of 1 to 200 and applied to plants.