In addition, it is contains significant amounts of fiber, vitamin A and vitamin C and B vitamins, iron, magnesium, manganese, potassium, calcium and copper minerals and powerful antioxidant compounds.
Thanks to these properties, purslane protects heart health, prevents cancer, rejuvenates skin, strengthens bones and immune system, promotes some digestive system diseases and supports child development.
It is an ideal diet food for those who want to lose weight because of low calorie rate.
What is Purslane?
Purslane is an herbaceous plant from purslane family. The body is flat on soil, leaves are oval, smooth and fleshy. Stems are yellow and reddish.
They usually have yellow flowers. Purslane growing in summer months can easily be encountered in fields and gardens and mountain in slope.
Usually grow in thin and bare areas between cultivated areas. Maximum benefit is obtained from wild and freshness.
Vitamins, Nutritional Value and Calorie Value of Purslane
- Purslane omega-3 is rich in single green leaf vegetables. Vegetarians and those who do not consume fish can provide their omega-3 needs.
- Contains zinc, iron, potassium, manganese, copper, magnesium, calcium minerals
- It is an excellent source of vitamins A and C. B-rich in complex vitamins
- Contains powerful antioxidant compounds.
- Calories are one of the lowest vegetables (only 16 kcal/100g).
- Contains high fiber.
What are Benefits of Purslane?
1. Protects Cardiovascular Health
Plenty of omega-3 fatty acids in content of purslane helps to reduce amount of bad cholesterol in body and can prevent risk of heart attack. In content of potassium blood pressure, ie, blood vessels can reduce tension on heart.
2. Accelerates Blood Circulation
Iron and copper minerals in contents of purslane help in production of red blood cells.
Both of these minerals are needed to accelerate circulation by giving more oxygen to important parts of body and increasing healing rate of cells and organs. Also, iron and copper helps to grow hair.
3. Helps in Treatment of Some Digestive System Diseases
It can prevent constipation by relaxing digestive system. It is especially recommended for people with stomach upset because of is good for ulcers.
It is also useful against hemorrhoids. Vitamin A helps protect healthy mucous membranes. It is especially used to treat many intestinal problems in Chinese medicine.
4. Prevents Cancer
High amounts of vitamin A and C found in purslane can act as antioxidant and help prevent lung and oral cancer in particular.
In addition, specific color of betalin pigment group of vegetables, free radicals in healthy cells to cause mutations and thus prevent development of cancer.
5. Strengthens Bones
It is a healthy option for those who want to prevent bone loss. It contains calcium, magnesium, iron and manganese, all of the minerals needed to improve bone tissue and speed up healing process of bones in our bodies. This rich mineral variety protects bones against osteoporosis.
6. Increases Vision Power
Purslane is an important vitamin A store that protects eye health. It can also prevent yellow spot disease (macular degeneration) and cataract formation by eliminating free radicals that attack eye cells and cause age-related diseases.
7. Supports Child Development
It helps children’s brain development. Some researches have shown that omega-3 fatty acids in content of this green leafy vegetable help to reduce some developmental disorders such as autism, attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder.
8. Helps Lose Weight
Purslane is very low in calories, but is a very high fiber. There are many cessation courses that can help to burn fat. One of them is blend with yogurt. Also:
- Balances blood sugar
- It is good for fatigue and sluggishness thanks to vitamins contains.
- Strengthens immune system.
- Externally applied porridge made from semizotin, reduces infection caused by bee and snake bites. It’s good for burns and abscesses.
- It’il spill warts. Boiling water is useful in boils.
- Mixed with boiled water or milk and beaten in air to help to pour seeds of intestinal worms.
- It is good for skin beauty and health. It reduces wrinkles, removes scars and blemishes. It’s good for eczema.
- It is a good diuretic.
- Helps prevent anemia.
How to Make Easy Purslane Soup?
- 1 large bag of purslane
- 1 tea cup lentil, 1 piece of onion
- 2 garlic cloves, 2 tomatoes
- Butter and olive oil
- Tomato, pepper paste and salt
We mix and blend paste, purslane, washed lentils and salt with additional ingredients. Add water to ingredients until they have a finger or two, and cook until they all soften.
We can add chili or peppercorns. We can control water and add hot water if necessary to burn bottom, but should not be too watery to sit consistency.
Eating Purslane with Yogurt
- 1 large bag of purslane
- Half cup rice
- 1 onion, 1 tablespoon paste
- 2 tablespoons oil, 1 cup of water
- Salt, 1 bowl of yogurt
- 2 cloves of garlic on request
Preparation: First we cut to dish peel onion. We open stove by taking liquid oil into pot and we roast until becomes pink onions.
After onions are peeled, add tomato paste and then add purslane, which we have thoroughly washed and drained.
We add rice after simmering for about 2-3 minutes. Add hot water and salt to a glass of water and cover pot. Food should not be too watery, but we can add water if necessary to keep bottom.
We keep purslane on low heat until is cooked rice. After cooking, we pour yogurt, which we add garlic on request.
Roasting Purslane Recipes
- 1 large bag of purslane
- 2 onions, 1 tomato
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste and salt
Preparation: We roast onion in olive oil, which we cut in cubes or rings. When onions are roasted, we add first our tomato paste and then peel and cut into cubes.
Add the most recent purslane. If you want to take serving plate we can put yoğurt with garlic and chili peppers. we can eat by pouring spices.
Damages and Side Effects of Purslane
2.) However, yogurt significantly reduces oxalate content in purslane, eating both at the same time can reduce risk of kidney stones.
3.) In addition, boiling water is inserted 5 minutes after removal of large amounts of oxalate can be destroyed without losing most of other useful nutrients.
4.) However, is advisable to consult your doctor. Other than that, there is no known harm and side effects.