Table of Contents
The water chestnut, known in India as “Paniphal” or “Singhara” in the Hindu language, is a food native to China and is quite common in Chinese households. Unlike the name, it is not related to chestnut.
It belongs to the plant family called sedge (Sedge), a type of marsh grass with edible root at the bottom. More than half of the plant remains submerged in water, while the upper leaves are on the surface of the water.
Its crisp texture and fresh soft taste allow us to put this food in a separate place. It does not lose its crispness when cooked or canned.
It can be used in meals, consumed raw or boiled. In India, usually sells to street vendors. It has high nutrition and is low in calories and non-fat. It contains potassium, zinc, B vitamins, and vitamin E.
Calories in Water Chestnut and Nutrition Facts
- Calories: 97
- Fat: 0.1 grams
- Carbs: 23.9 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 2 grams
- Potassium: 17% of the RDI
- Manganese: 17% of the RDI
- Copper: 16% of the RDI
- Vitamin B6: 16% of the RDI
- Riboflavin: 12% of the RDI
14 Best Health Benefits Of Water Chestnut
As well as crispy texture and sweet mild flavors, it has an exceptional food source that causes to makes an excellent food source. Because of medicinal properties, it has been used in Ayurvedic and Unani drug systems. The numerous health benefits they provide include:
1. It serves as a perfect coolant for the body. It increases saliva secretion and removes thirst.
2. It is an excellent food for creating a healthy lifestyle. It is high in nutrients and low in calories and contains almost zero fat. Half a cup of portion contains only 0.1 grams of fat. All this has made a healthy eating option.
3. Because of detox properties, water chestnut is beneficial for people suffering from jaundice. Jaundice patients may consume raw form or in the form of fruit juice. It serves as a perfect tonic for removing toxins from the body.
4. Because of contains beneficial minerals such as iodine and manganese, it ensures the proper functioning of the thyroid gland.
5. Water chestnut, which is rich in polyphenolic and flavonoid antioxidants, has antibacterial, antiviral, anticancer and antioxidant properties. It helps to strengthen the stomach and spleen and helps reduce symptoms such as insomnia, feeling sick, fatigue and cancer.
6. It is effective in the treatment of different urinary infections.
7. Extracts of water chestnut plants are effective in curing nausea and indigestion disorders. Especially the juice is a natural remedy for problems with the stomach. If your chestnut by crushing and powdering and use as oatmeal cleans intestines and is useful for regulating body temperature.
9. When used in raw form or fruit juice form, it helps to alleviate bad appetite problems in children as well as in adults.
10. Because of excellent cooling properties, it is perfect for coping with the scorching temperature of the summer months. It contains numerous healing and helpful features.
11. Water chestnut juice is used to control the problem of diarrhea and dysentery, and the fruit is used to treat sore throats, anemia, bronchitis, and leprosy.
12. It helps to treat hypertension seen during pregnancy and increases fetal growth. Porridge, made from water chestnut flour, is given to pregnant women to control bleeding after birth. Dried seeds stop bleeding and fix miscarriage problems in women. It also supports the secretion of milk glands.
13. Water chestnut eliminates inflammation and blood pollution. Reduces fatigue and can control the amount of blood flowing from wounds.
14. A cup is an excellent source of potassium, providing 362.1 mg of potassium. This mineral is vital for proper novelistic and neural functions. It also regulates the amount of water retention and blood pressure by balancing the sodium level.
Water Chestnut Benefits For Skin
In addition to the numerous health benefits mentioned above, it can also be beneficial for the skin in the following ways.
1. As previously mentioned, it cleans the blood by supporting toxin removal from the body. This results in the emergence of glowing and rejuvenating skin.
2. It is effective in treating conditions such as measles. Boiled water chestnut can be the perfect solution for measles patients. Drinking this drink regularly for at least 6 to 9 days gives excellent results.
3. After crushing and pulverizing chestnut, paste form with the addition of water can be applied to swollen areas of skin to reduce swelling.
Benefits For Hair
Healthy, shiny and undamaged hair is something we all want to have. Like the rest of your body, your hair needs adequate nutrients to maintain health.
It is generally beneficial for your hair because contains some essential nutrients such as potassium, zinc, B vitamins, and vitamin E. Also, it can damage your hair toxins in your body. The nutritional values contained in contributing to healthy hair.